Podikkizhi is a powdered mix of multiple herbs filled in a linen cloth to make a ball.
It is then heated up in medicated herbal oils and applied to the specific areas of the patient in a
specialized, rhythmic manner. Podikkizhi soothes inflamed channels in the body and helps improve blood
circulation. It alleviates pain, swelling in joints, muscular aches, spasms, and stiffness.
very effectively helps to cure sports injuries, osteoarthritis, sciatica, cervical and lumbar
spondylosis, coccydynia, and sprained joints and ligaments. Also, well-approved results occur in the
treatment of paralysis, obesity, neuropathies, and insomnia.
Benefits of Podikizhi:-
- Podikizhi increases the peripheral blood supply, so it also helps in improving complexion of the
- It relieves body ache and strengthens muscles and skin.
- It is also a good technique for relaxation and relieving stress.
- It has detoxifying properties for the skin, removes the toxins through the skin pores, and lowers
the tendency of skin diseases.
Steps involved in Podikizhi
- Take the main powder ingredient and other ingredients like curcuma, rocksalt, garlic, lemon
(quantity and ingredients are selected individualy).
- Herbs are mildy heated in a pan with a little oil.
- After 5 minutes, your herbal poultice is ready to put in cotton cloths to make small bags.
- When the temperature of bags are in a tolerable range, dip the poultice in a little oil and apply
the bags over the affected parts of the body to reduce pain.
- Same temperature is maintained in the poultice by interchanging them.
- Poultice should have a tolerable heat level throughout the procedure.
- Apply bags and do massage simultaneously.
- Advice the client to take a hot water bath after the Podikizhi.